Some interesting additions in this update. Geo for All (Courses) is an excellent initiative with a strong focus on GIS training and accessibility. ResMap, a satellite image repositry (Information) includes SPOT 5 data. ILWIS (GIS) has some useful 3D capability, including using multipe Z value-sources in datasets (beyond DEM). The CET presentation library (Lecture Notes) includes some great industry science.
If you know of software, data sources or science – that is Open or Free to use and should be included on these pages, please forward some details.
Courses – go there
- Geo for All – http://www.geoforall.org/
- GIS software, open data, open standards,
- access to research publications,
- education resources in Geospatial education and research
- CERENA GEOMS2 – http://cerena.ist.utl.pt/
- geostatistics and geosciences modeling software
- interface for grid, point, surface and data objects.
- 3D viewer and 2D plots.
- Provide univariate and multivariate analysis.
Database and Data Management – go there
- Mendely – https://www.mendeley.com/
- Reference and PDF management.
- Library searches and cite as you write.
- Accumulo – https://accumulo.apache.org/
- key/value store in a robust, scalable, high performance data storage and retrieval system
- see GeoMesa for geospatial frontend.
- MapZen – https://mapzen.com/projects/
- Customisable tools for rendering, routing and searching geodata.
- ResMap – http://www.resmap.com/index.html
- Global GIS-ready satellite data from 1km to 1m resolution
- WebApp browser
- IKONOS, Landsat 5 and 7 ETM, MODIS, RADARSAT, SPOT-5.
Geology – go there
- Earth Core – http://earths-core.en.softonic.com/
- 600 minerals, 300 gems, 200 rocks, around 900 glossary items
GIS – go there
- GeoMesa – http://www.geomesa.org/
- spatial – temporal query of GIS data.
- ER Viewer – http://download.intergraph.com/downloads/erdas-er-viewer-2014-v14.01
- Viewing software from ER Mapper
- TNTatlas – http://www.microimages.com/products/tntatlas/index.htm
- publish and distribute your maps and geospatial data
- ILWIS – http://52north.org/about/52north
- Integrated Land and Water Information System
- GIS with some strong 3D capabilities (not just DEM)
- data animation and stereoscopy tool
GPS – go there
- DNRGPS – http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/DNRGPS/DNRGPS.html
- transfer data between Garmin handheld GPS receivers and GIS software.
- works with ArcGIS 10.x, Google Earth, Most Garmin GPSs, and other NMEA output GPSs
- G-Raster – http://moagu.com/?page_id=155
- creates raster Custom Maps for your Garmin GPS receiver.
- easily convert KMZ overlay files calibrated in Google Earth, chopping them up into smaller tiles fully compatible with Garmin units
Journals – go there
- Taylor and Francis – http://www.tandfonline.com/
- 2700 geological journals, references and databases
Lecture Notes – go there
- CET – http://www.cet.edu.au/news-and-media/events/cet-seminar-series
- Centre for Exploration Technologies presentation database
Reading – go there
- Exploration Direct – http://www.explorationconnect.com.au/
- Services, suppliers, products, advice, tolls and resources (Aust. focused but science applicable anywhere).
- Orient – http://www.frederickvollmer.com/orient/
- Orientation data, multiple input options
- upper and lower hemisphere, contouring, etc.