It has been a while since an update, with some good stuff found. The standouts are likely the Mira Geoscience software (Geoscience Analyst) and the European Space Agency data portal (Sentinal). The exploration risk discussion, authored by Plutus Strategies, is also worth a read.
Suggestions for additional FLOSS resources are always welcome…
Data Repositries – go there
- SEDAC – http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/
- Socioeconomic data and application centre.
- coarse global free GIS data – from fertilizer applications in agriculture to global infant mortality rate by state/province.
- Open Topgraphy – http://www.opentopography.org/
- Where can we find LiDAR data?
- United Nations Environmental program – http://geodata.grid.unep.ch/
- 500 geospatial themes
- Tip: Click advanced. Select “Geospatial Data Sets” so that only GIS data will be filtered.
- European Space Agency – https://scihub.copernicus.eu/dhus/#/home
- Sentinal Data Hub
- highest spatial resolution available to the public for free – 10-meter resolution satellite data
- Sentinel 2 data has 11 spectral bands including near-infrared
Database and Data Management – go there
- Free and Easy File Conversion – http://www.goldensoftware.com/blog/free-easy-file-conversionSHP to BLN (for blanking in Surfer)
- DXF to KML (for display in Google Earth)
- DEM to DAT (for visualizing x,y,z values of grid nodes)
- MIF to SHP (for use in ESRI products)
- XLB – http://www.excelbee.com/excel-password-remover
- VBA script to remove passwords from EXCEL docs (and free up locked code).
Geophysics and Geology – go there
- Geocience Analyst – http://www.mirageoscience.com/our-products/software-product/geoscience-analyst
- 3D visualisation of geoscience data.
- import, visualize, annotate, save and distribute 3D geoscientific data and models
- dynamic link between 3D views and data tables.
- Imports ASCII, ESRI, Geo-referenced images, Geosoft and GOCAD Mining Suite files/objects
Geostatistics and QAQC – go there
- Spatial Ecology – http://www.spatialecology.com/ – (Open but and add-on to ARCgis)
- The Geospatial Modeling Environment (GME) is a suite of tools for geospatial analysis geospatial combining the power of the statistical software R with ESRI ArcGIS to drive geospatial analyses.
- Free Statistical Software – http://statpages.org/javasta2.html
- A thorough list of statistical tools and add-ons.
Modelling and Mining – go there
- Mining Math Associates – http://signup.simsched.com/?lrRef=N86Weg
- plan pits and multiple tasks of the mine-planning process
Network and Server – go there
- Immunet – http://www.immunet.com/
- Windows application of ClamAV
- Cloud based
- MalwareBytes – https://www.malwarebytes.org/
- Clean up the rubbish the virus scan leaves behind
- Microsoft – http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download
- Microsoft Security Essentials helps guard your PC against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software
Reading – go there
- Plutus Strategies – http://plutusstrategies.com/Blog%201.html
- Exploration risk and decisions.
- Risk source, opportunity, volatility. Valuing and statistics
- Phased Mining – http://www.mining.com/web/phased-approach-to-mine-development-a-proven-business-model-for-risk-reduction/?utm_source=digest-en-au-160120&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=digest
- A broad review of scaled production to control risk and inertial investments.